Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere is, like in the Northern Hemisphere, a time of family, relaxation, and lots of food. The Oliphant in the room is the very European aesthetic to the celebrations we have here. Mistletoe, snowflakes, skiing Christmas decorations, and snowmen — even though we’re spending our December by the pool. So, if you’re sick of winter, you’ve had it with snowflakes, or you’re enjoying summer in your corner of the world too, here’s our guide to summer Christmas adventures — a mishmash of adventure seeds in the sun and surf for your RPG campaign.
Sun & Surf Adventure Seeds
- A sand elemental is terrorizing the coastline. The locals have dubbed the creature “Sandy Claws.”
- A selkie druid in human guise seeks help rescuing her cubs from a sahuagin hunting party, deep below the waves.
- An ancient bronze dragon brings toys and gifts to the local children every summer solstice. The gnomes that usually help him make the toys have run into a problem…
- A ship disappeared from port during the night, along with its crew. In its place is a strange island of sand. Some say it was the curse of a genie.
- A whale swallows the adventurers after capsizing their boat.
- The legendary ningyo has been sighted by pearl divers off the coast. Capturing one of these creatures could bring a handsome reward.
- An ominous statue is discovered during an unusually low tide. News of the discovery spreads quickly, and nefarious forces are moving to acquire it.
- A mysterious spell is slowly turning the surface of the sea to glass.
- An island appears off the coast. When explored, it’s found to be a forgotten temple on the back of an enormous sea turtle.
- The rising tide brings unusual creatures onto the land.
- The adventurer’s ship is captured by pirates and burned. The PCs are given a choice: join the pirate crew or walk the plank.
- An ancient city rises from the ocean.
- The party discovers a tunnel that leads deep beneath Waterdeep. In a water-filled chamber, they find a massive clockwork crab lying in its berth. Portholes and a hatch indicate something of its intended purpose.
- A sailor reports having seen a giant undead whale.
- A coastal town floods during the night. In the morning, the citizens discover that the graves of the town have been emptied.
- The PCs discover an open portal in the ocean, which draws water through. The portal brings the water to a thriving desert city, but endangers ocean inhabitants.
- An underwater ritual opens a portal to the Elemental Plane of Water, through which a giant sea monster passes to terrorize the Mortal Realm.
More Summer Christmas Adventures
Looking for more summer goodies? Aurora’s Whole Realms Summer Catalogue has a vast collection of thematic items that will add flavor to your Dungeons & Dragons game, without breaking it.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Rising Phoenix Games